United States is the number one destination for international students seeking higher education abroad. In fact, about 30 percent of all current international students in the world are studying in United States. The United States is a federal constitutional republic comprising fifty states and a federal district.
The range of educational opportunities are available to study in United States is immense. No matter what kind of learning environment you seek, u will find ample choices from among the 3,600 diverse higher education institutions in the country. The United States is a multicultural nation, home to a wide variety of ethnic groups, traditions, and values. One can combine the adventure of a lifetime with a great education as an International Student in United States.
WHY STUDY IN UNITED STATES
- Excellent Academics
The U.S. provides some of world’s finest higher education, especially in the field of technology. U.S. degrees are recognized all over the world and are considered to be one of the best in the world.
- Flexibility in Course Curriculum
While most programs are structured very well, students also have the option to choose many other subjects as part of their course. Students have an opportunity to emphasize and narrow down topics of specific interest in their field of study. Sometimes students may even choose subjects from other universities as part of their studies.
- Financial Assistance
Financial assistance is normally provided to international students, because pursuing higher education in the U.S. is expensive. Most of the universities financially support the international students either in the form of providing teaching or research assistantships. These assistantships are based on academic merit, rather than financial need.
There are a number of scholarships and fellowships available for Indian students for studying and doing research abroad. These are usually given by Indian government and foreign governments.
Once students complete their degree, they are authorized to work for one year in a related field, in order to gain practical knowledge. Students are allowed to work full-time (40 hours per week) by applying for an Optional Practical Training Employment Authorization (OPT).
- Support Services for International Students
Studying in the United States is a rewarding experience, but navigating your way through day-to-day issues can be a challenge.Many international students find that the college and university international student office is a great help in helping them adapt to a culturally and academically different environment. The mission of the international student office is to assist students like you, and there is often a wide range of student services that they provide.
- Campus Life Experience
When you continue your studies in the U.S., you are making a choice to broaden not only your educational experience, but your cultural opportunities, as well. Whether you attend a small, private college in a small town or a university situated in the middle of a large urban area, most universities offer a variety of student clubs and organizations to match the wide array of student interests.International students often find that the international student office is a good starting point for campus offerings, as well as the campus student center.
- Personal Growth
Students who return after completing study from US often see it as an experience which matured them personally and intellectually. They praise being exposed to new ways of thinking and living, which encourages growth and independence.
EDUCATION SYSTEM IN UNITED STATES
Education in the United States is mainly provided by the public sector, with control and funding coming from three levels: federal, state, and local. The US Educational System offers a wide range of courses and programs. This attracts students from all over the world.
In US Universities, they give grades instead of ranks or classes for courses. The grades are A, B, C, D, E, F, I. A is the highest grade. Grades from A to D are considered as pass. Grade I- incomplete. Grade I is granted when students stop the course in between with the teachers permission. If it is without permission this can become F grade.
- Marks between 100 – 90 – A Grade (Excellent)
- Marks between 89 – 79 – B Grade (Good)
- Marks between 78 – 68 – C Grade (Average)
- Marks between 67 – 57 – D Grade (Below)
- Below 57 – F or fail.
Each grade has points. 4 points for A grade, 3 for B and 2 for C. The average points taken for all the courses taken together is the GPA (Grade Point Average)
Different Educational Institutions :
- College: It is an independent institution that offers a four-year programme of undergraduate study in the liberal arts (BA, BFA) and sciences (B.S). Bachelor’s degree is the basic requirement for graduate work.
- Universities: Universities are larger institutions that include several undergraduate colleges, graduate schools, and professional schools. Graduate school involves 1 or 2 years of study and offers advanced programs in arts and sciences which give master’s degrees like M.A or M.S, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) etc.
- Junior College or Community Colleges: These colleges award only Associate Degree of Arts (A.A) and Sciences (A.S) which involves 2 year of study. After receiving Associate Degree, students must join a 4 years college or University to complete the Bachelor’s Degree.
- Vocational and Technical Institution: These institutes specialize in training for the skilled trades and technical fields of employment. Duration of the courses depends on the particular subject. After completion, they will be awarded a certificate of completion and they can straight away join for a job.
- Bachelor’s degree : Undergraduate study usually lasts for 4 years. In some cases an accelerated Programme can be completed in three years, while some professional fields require five years.
- Masters degree : Candidate who has successfully completed four years of Bachelors Programme or Under Graduate Study is eligible to apply for the Master’s degree in US.
- Research (Doctoral Degree) : He highest degree awarded in research-oriented academic disciplines, usually requiring 3 to 6 years of full time study besides the Bachelor’s degree as preparation for University level teaching and research. Indian students with a Master Degree can apply for P.H.D.
- First Professional Degree : The degree required to be academically qualified to practice in certain professions, such as law, medicine etc usually requires a total of at least six years of study including prior college level work. It must have as a prerequisite at least two years of college credit.